Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Anti-Procrastination Post

Look at me!  I can write!

Or at least I spend a lot of time thinking about writing.  It's what writers do when we are all caught up in moments of "writer's block," which is a nice way to say we're procrastinating.  Which is another nice way of saying we're lazy.

I spend a lot of time shoving shit aside to make room for, well, other shit.  I don't know exactly how some crap gets prioritized over something else, especially in situations where the risk-reward is equal.  Of course, there is the instantaneous satisfaction of other activities, and the cold, hard fact that writing is a lonely practice by its very nature.

There are a surplus of articles out there that reiterate what you already know yourself: turn off the social media, schedule writing as an important part of your day, and set achievable goals to satisfy your need for reward.  But what do we do when all else fails, and we can't afford to hire someone to go into coaching us as a professional career?  What do we do when we can't risk relationships by talking about our work to everyone we know, every spare second of the day, just to keep the spark alive?

If we don't plan, we procrastinate.  Sometimes the medium that we use to inspire ourselves becomes it's own trap.  However, others find success in technological assistants, and who am I to question another's process? If you're so inclined, you may want to consider these resources:

Write or Die has both online and desktop/iPad/mobile applications.  The online app is great for writer's groups who use the sprint method to encourage meeting attendees to stay on track.

Task oriented programs (like the one described here) are great for writers with more than a single project, or when we're combating the various stages of completion.  It's hard to keep track of queries, submission dates, editing work, and still produce something new.   This program, and others like it, are usually free, and you can set them up to poke and prod you with reminders that tell you what a jerk you are for stalling.

iPad users have found a little gem with the Novel in 30 application.  Not only does it help you track progress and allow you to share your advances with the few folks who care, it also provides a clear environment and some basic motivators to keep you going during each session.

So with all these options, how do I motivate myself?  Well honestly, none of the above.  Call me old fashioned, but instead, I read.  If I don't have time for a book, I read a chapter.  Or a short story.  Or writing tips like these that remind me of what I should be doing....even when I am on the internet.  Moreover, I allow myself all the time in the world to daydream:  on the way to work, while working, while getting ready for bed.  In my head, I am always writing.  The challenge comes when I need to sit down and start constructing a scene.  Somedays, I have enough to do that I feel anxious because I can't spend the time I'd like on reworking a dialogue or getting into the grit of a specific sequence of events.

Above all, no matter what, just recall the golden rule: when in doubt, a writer writes.  Sometimes its a novel.  Other times its about writing.  Once in awhile its even dissecting the finer points of procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment